Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has officially opened the newly tarmacked Makutano ma Mwala to Kithimani road, the first road to be constructed by a county government.
The 33-kilometer road was built at a cost of Sh650 million over just three months. The road acts a critical linkage cutting across Machakos county, joining Garissa road to the Machakos-Kitui Road.
Speaking during the official opening on Thursday, Mutua said the link road is considered important for economic development not only in the county but for the country as a whole.
“The original Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) estimate cost for the construction of the road was Sh1.6 billion. Machakos government has used a third of that estimate,” Mutua said.
The road was constructed by 11 contractors, each doing three kilometers, which Mutua attributes to be the reason for the faster completion.
They include Lirona Contractors, Welldan Contractors, Zoar Contractors, Mattan Contractors, Salan Contractors and Wak Contractors.
Others are Gragab Agencies, Sinot Construction Limited, Sivad Construction Limited, Ndaisi General Merchants Company and Katsran Limited.
“Had it been awarded to a single contractor, the road would have taken a minimum of three to four years,” Mutua said.
The road was fully funded using the County’s funds.
The county has also installed CCTV Cameras and street lights covering the entire length of the road. “The street lights feature 28 transformers and have also provided electricity to towns and homes along the road.”
The opening event was graced by several leaders including the majority leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale who called on all the governors to focus on development of their counties and do less politics.
“This road is not for Machakos alone, but also for me and others when gong home to Garissa and the general Northern Kenya. Others keep complaining about the money, yet others are using the little they have to help Kenyans,” Duale said.
“If we keep doing politics, we will kill devolution,” he added.
Below find some facts about the Makutano Ma Mwala-Kithimani Road.
FACT SHEET :
MAKUTANO MA MWALA TO KITHIMANI ROAD (33KMs) FASTEST BUILT ROAD IN AFRICA
1. The Road is a critical linkage road cutting across Machakos County joining Garissa Road to Machakos Kitui Road.
2. The Road id 33 kilometres long.
3. The original KENHA (National Government) estimate cost was Kshs. 1.6 billion for construction of the road. However, Machakos County Government has constructed it for Kshs. 650 Million, a third of the KENHA cost. Local contractors, registered with the National Government were used. The road was supervised by qualified engineers and all materials tested by the National Government’s testing unit.
4. The road was fully funded using Machakos Government County funds.
5. The Road was built in a record of three (3) months (March 18th, 2014 – June 18th, 2014).
– This was by using eleven (11) contractors, each contractor assigned 3 kilometres. Had it been awarded a single contractor, the road would have taken a minimum of 36 – 48 months (3- 4 years).
– This is a revolutionary way of doing things. Same quality but faster results for Wananchi.
6. The Road has street lights installed on it, road signage and also features a Rest Area with a toilet and Convenience Store.
– The street lights feature 28 transformers and have also provided electricity to towns and homes along the highway.
7. The road has CCTV Cameras covering its entire length.
8. The towns of Kithimani and Makutano Ma Mwala have also been tarmacked and lit.
9. The Road was promised to the people of Machakos County by President Jomo Kenyatta, Daniel Moi and Mwai Kibaki to no avail. It is considered the most vital road in the County.
10. Governor Dr. Alfred N. Mutua visited and monitored construction of the road by visiting over 10 times and by receiving regular reports of speed of construction and quality.
– This is the first tarmac road built by a County Government in Kenya.
11. The construction is based on Governor Alfred N. Mutua’s development ideology of Maendeleo Chap Chap, meant to provide speedy, quality and efficient service for citizens.
12. Another development Program that makes
MACHAKOS COUNTY – THE PLACE TO BE.