President Uhuru Kenyatta has said Kenya is now in charge of Nairobi’s Westgate Mall after protracted fight between the Kenya Defence Forces and the terrorists.
Addressing the press Tuesday evening, the President said five terrorists were killed by the gun and confirmed that 61 civilians and six security officers have so far died in the four-day siege involving suspected Islamist militants.
He declared three days national mourning starting on Wednesday.
The President stated there were several bodies lying under rubble from collapsed parts of the building that were still to be recovered.
He pointed out that terrorism is a global problem that requires global solutions and pledged cowards will meet justice.
“I promise that we shall have a full accountability for the mindless destruction, deaths, pain, loss and suffering we have all undergone as a national family.
“These cowards will meet justice, as will their accomplices and patrons, wherever they are,” he said.
He thanked Kenyans for their show of togetherness saying: “There is, evidently, no limit to your patriotic sacrifice. I am humbled and encouraged.”
The president said he could not confirm reports that a British national and two or three US citizens were involved in the attacks, but he said forensic experts were carrying out tests to establish their nationalities.