The noose is tightening around the necks of those involved in the Anglo Leasing scandal after Swiss authorities asked for evidence held by the Kenyan government with a view to prosecuting them.
On Monday, Swiss ambassador Jacques Pitteloud presented an official request from his country’s Prosecutor-General Michael Lauber to the Kenyan authorities to enable his government nail those involved in the scam.
The request was sent through Attorney-general Githu Muigai who, in turn promised to ensure that the evidence is delivered by Friday.
The Swiss authorities are interested in getting evidence on those who; executed the contracts, received the payments, banked the money in Swiss banks and may have benefited from such corrupt networks.
They are also interested in evidence to prove that the billions of dollars already frozen in Swiss accounts were proceeds from such corrupt contracts.
FORWARD ALL EVIDENCE
“We are ready to diligently and on a timely basis provide all the evidence requested by activating the police, the DPP, EACC and my office to forward all the evidence they have on the matter by close of the week,” Prof Muigai said when he addressed a press conference in his chambers accompanied by Mr Pitteloud.
The AG, however, would not confirm whether Kenyan ministers and senior officials who signed the contracts were among those targeted after he had said the evidence he would be forwarding would include those who executed the contracts from the Kenyan side.
“I cannot confirm that but those who were responsible for the signing as well as making payments for the contracts are well known. Such information is in the public domain,” he said without elaborating.
At the time of the signing of the contracts, Busia Senator Amos Wako was the government’s legal adviser by virtue of his position as the AG, but he has denied any responsibility in the matter.
Most of the contracts were security-related, with the Internal Security ministry under the former Kieni MP Chris Murungaru initiating the contracts.
Mr David Mwiraria was the Finance minister at the time. He once declared that no money was lost in the scandal since it had been wired back, without saying who did it.
In 2006, he had to step aside following the heat generated when it became evident that his ministry had paid out the money but he was later reinstated after being cleared of any wrongdoing.
Former Ethics Permanent Secretary John Githongo also named Meru Senator Kiraitu Murungi, who was the then Constitutional Affairs minister as being involved in the scam.
On Monday, the AG thanked the Swiss authorities for providing useful evidence resulting in the revival of investigations of five of the cases related to Anglo Leasing. He said it was now the government’s turn to reciprocate.
The Swiss envoy said his country was keen on nailing those involved and required evidence that would be useful in proving beyond doubt, the individuals involved.
He did not give the names of those who were targeted, saying he was bound by the presumption of innocence principle — that those mentioned were not guilty until proven. “We are looking for assistance in getting evidence that can prove beyond doubt those involved as well as the money frozen in Swiss banks were proceeds that came from Anglo leasing,” said the envoy.