President Kenyatta Tuesday sounded another warning to inept and corrupt public officers saying they will be fired.
The Head of State cautioned that laziness and graft would not be entertained this year. Those not willing to work hard are free to go home, he added.
Mr Kenyatta at the same time said the Jubilee government was willing and ready to work with county governments to provide services to the public.
“We have so many projects we have outlined this year which we want to complete and if one is not willing to participate in their success, they are free to go home,” said Mr Kenyatta.
“There are so many young and educated Kenyans who are willing to replace such government officers,” he added.
Mr Kenyatta was speaking in Mukuru Kwa Njenga, Korogocho and Mathare informal settlement areas where he launched the slums upgrade programmes
The President warned against wastage of public resources which he said had cost the government a lot of money.
The Jubilee government was last year faced with several scandals involving tenders worth billions of shillings which were irregularly awarded. Some tenders were cancelled while others were awarded under a cloud controversy.
They include the cancelled Sh24.6 billion laptop tenders, the controversial Sh15 billion single sourced security tender awarded to Safaricom, the Sh320 billion Standard Gauge Railway tender that went to a Chinese firm and the disputed Sh3 billion motor vehicle pre-shipment inspection contract awarded by the Kenya Bureau of Standards (Kebs) to a Japanese firm.
Senior government officials have also been mentioned in corrupt deals. Energy Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir, a former commissioner with the then Interim Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IIEC), was mentioned in a bribery scandal that involved a UK company.
The UK’s Serious Fraud Office revealed that the scandal cost Kenya Sh50 million through inflation of printing costs of election ballot papers by up to 38 per cent, mainly to cater for kickbacks for senior officials. The CS is still in office.
Although the President has issued these threats before, he was categorical that this time round, he means business.
“Kenyans are tired of leaders and government officials who are unwilling to work for them, in 2015. We will not allow that to happen,” he said.
Mr Kenyatta also challenged his Cabinet Secretaries to go to the grassroots and “come face to face with the challenges facing average Kenyans.”