Operations at the Naivasha district hospital have been paralysed as the strike by health workers enters its second day. A new born baby died on Tuesday after she was rushed to the hospital as the strike commenced.
The baby who had been born at home was waiting for treatment when she passed away.
Relatives of other patients have moved in to transfer their relatives to private facilities as Nakuru Governor Kinuthia Mbugua paid an impromptu visit to the facility.
Speaking on phone, the superintendent in charge of the facility Dr Joseph Mburu said that over 75 percent of the patients had been transferred to private hospitals.
“All heads of departments are working round the clock to save those patients left behind and we hope that a solution will be found soon,” he said.
Empty beds, abandoned patients and locked doors met the governor who commended senior staff who were working overboard to attend to patients left behind.
Flanked by members of his cabinet and senior health officers, the Governor denied that there were plans to reduce salaries earned by health workers as claimed.
He said that the issue was a constitutional issue adding that it could not be addressed through street protests. “There is a misconception that we shall interfere with the health workers wages and this is very wrong,” he said on Wednesday.
Mbugua said that for the last six months, the counties had paid the health workers salaries through the Central government. Mbugua expressed his concern over the suffering of the patients and called on the striking workers to rethink their decision.
Naivasha Mp John Kihagi who had accompanied the Governor said that the issue could only be addressed through a constitutional amendment.
He called on the health workers to be reasonable and give dialogue a chance as thousand of victims were suffering countrywide.
Two patients have died in Baringo County after they failed to get treatment due to the ongoing strike by doctors and nurses.
A 49 year old woman died at Chemolingot health center while waiting to receive treatment for snake bites while a second patient who was a 45 year old man died at the Kabarnet District Hospital after vomiting blood for long without being attended.
In Eldoret some hospitals remained deserted as medics vowed to stay on strike until the government suspends devolution of health services to address their demands.
– The Star