google978c4e921fe1bd28.html

Twins Kidnappers had foreign account for ransom deposit

From left Geoffrey Muia, Fredrick Kyuma, Geoffrey Obwaka and former AP officer Joash Opiyo, in a Nairobi court yesterday where they were charged alongside five others with kidnapping two girls

From left Geoffrey Muia, Fredrick Kyuma, Geoffrey Obwaka and former AP officer Joash Opiyo, in a Nairobi court yesterday where they were charged alongside five others with kidnapping two girls

The abductors of the 15-year-old twins who were demanding Sh86 million in ransom for the release of the girls were planning to transfer the money to a foreign account, a source privy to the investigations told Nation on Wednesday.

Nation also established that the kidnappers had a well laid out plan that would see them release one girl after the down payment, and then release the other after the balance had been cleared by their parents.

Read:[VIDEO] Two Twin girls kidnapped from Westlands area, Nairobi rescued;former AP officer Arrested

“They were planning to take the money to Tanzania to make it hard for them to be traced,” an officer said.

Nairobi deputy police boss Moses Ombati said the girls had not recorded a statement yet, as they were still too shaken to speak, but had recorded statements from the parents, drivers and other family employees.

The twins’ grandmother revealed that they had been sleeping all day and had not yet opened up to the family. She said the family was planning to get counsellors to help the girls recover from the ordeal.

Police arrested the kidnappers on Monday night in a raid at Tajiri Estate in Matasia, Ngong, where the girls were held captive for 11 days.

The officers said the girls were not harmed by the kidnappers because the parents were willing to cooperate with them. “They were unhurt during their 11-day captivity,” said an officer.

The girls’ father was possibly a target due to his businesses, especially in hotels. He runs 11 hotels around East Africa, nine of which are in Kenya.

Among those suspected to have kidnapped the girls was Joash Opiyo who was dismissed in 2010 from the Administration Police for being involved in the theft of Sh80 million from a bank.

The driver who took the girls to school on October 3, denied being part of the plan to kidnap the twins.

“He said he took the girls to school in the morning but when he went for them in the evening, they were not there,” said the officer.

In court yesterday, Mr Opiyo was among nine men arraigned in a Nairobi court for kidnapping the girls.

The other accused were Mr Geoffrey Obwoka Osumba, Mr Fredrick Kyumwa Mbuta, Mr Geoffrey Muia Mutune, Mr Clifford Okoth Ongugo, Mr Patrick Mwenwa Musili, Mr Francis Luseka Ilondanga, Mr Mark Stevene Oduk and Mr Gabriel Otema Otieno. They all denied the charge of kidnapping.

Acting senior resident magistrate Elena Nderitu granted the suspects a Sh2 million bond until the trial on December 2.

The magistrate also ordered that the accused be taken to hospital for treatment.

On Tuesday, four other suspects arrested on Monday night were charged with kidnapping of the two children.

Mr Albert Indumba Jirongo, Simeon Mokamba Nyambane, Bernard Waiti Gakuu and Peter Njoroge Ngugi had appeared before magistrate Nderitu.

Their alleged accomplices were arrested later that night when police raided the Matasia house.

Lead defense lawyer Cliff Ombeta had dismissed prosecution’s request of the accused to remain in police custody for fear of likelihood interference with evidence, the fact that the minors had not yet recorded statements with the police and that the former police officer is a “serial offender” as he is involved with another case of stealing Sh80 million from a bank.

-Nation

Comments

comments

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
%d bloggers like this: