Culled from ciikuweds.com.
I read this article on the top 10 wedding venues in Kenya with mild amusement. Why you ask? Because for one, all ten venues are in Nairobi. Â And secondly, some of those locations were quite suspect to me. They wouldnâ€™t even rank in the top 30 wedding venues in Kenya. Pizza Garden? Shade Hotel? Boulevard Hotel?
Also, I think the list favoured hotels [Sankara is already featuring… like really?] Â and while I agree that Safari Park and Windsor are definitely in the top 10, none of the other hotels featured really deserve to be there.
And since I am Ciiku, I decided to come up with a list of what I believe to be the Top 10 Wedding Venues in Kenya. This list is based purely on: invitations to weddings received by me or any member of my family RECENTLY and on venues visited during the planning of our wedding. The list includes venues that I believe hold at least 300 people [So I will not be putting Serena in the list].
The list is in no particular order [although in all honesty, I think Jockey Club or Safari Park will be number 1]:
- Safari Park Hotel â€“ Despite the road construction and the traffic on Thika Road, Safari Park seems to be a favorite when it comes to weddings. We considered it when I was still in the â€œball room weddingâ€ phase but they did not have enough room to accommodate us.
- Jockey Club â€“ This is also a favourite.
- Naivasha Sopa [Most of the weddings in Naivasha either seem to be at Sopa or Lake Naivasha Country Lodge – Correct me if I am wrong]
- Karen Blixen â€“ I do not even need to explain this one
- Windsor Golf and Country Hotel – I have heard that their wedding package comes with a cake. I have also heard that you should STILL get a cake from a proper wedding cake vendor [heresay].
- Wanderjoy â€“ These are the tent vendors who have grounds along Kiambu Road. It has recently become quite a favorite.
- Kenya High School â€“ I love this venue â€“ for a photo session. Especially if you are going for the editorial style shoot.
- Karen Country Lodge â€“ This is a new-ish venue but has picked up momentum!
- Memberâ€™s clubs â€“ Royal Golf, Nairobi Club and Limuru Golf Club [as far as I can tell]
- Langata Botanical Gardens â€“ Granted, I have NEVER been here but I know someone who went to try and see if the venue was free on their day and they were informed that all Saturdays had been booked for like 2 months. If that is not â€œTop 10â€³, I donâ€™t know what is.
- Tayiana Garden and Spa â€“ We went for two weddings on two consecutive Saturdays at Tayiana. I really donâ€™t know how I feel about the lack of parking but it seems like a popular place for a wedding
- St Austinâ€™s School â€“ It seems that almost every Saturday I am on James Gichuru, there is a wedding being held here.
I was thinking that maybe with all the research I have done, maybe I should share with some prospective brides/grooms who are looking to do a wedding in Kenya. For anyone with more questions, email me
|Place||Cost||Cost inclusive of||Parking||Time|
|Karen Blixen||60,000 for grounds, 12,000 for parking||Grounds and parking||Yes||Can have evening party there.|
|Arboretum||30,000||Grounds, water, security||Enough||No Lights â€“ Leave by 6|
|Nairobi Museum||60,000||Courtyard only||Very suitable for evening weddings when the museum is closed to the public|
|Karen Country Lodge||1,650 per plate||Grounds, food||Enough||Leave early â€“ Noise|
|Jockey Club||Depends on whether you get a member or not.||Grounds, toilets||Enough|
|Nairobi Club||20,000 for groundsMenu for food between 850 and 1,150[need a member to book the place]||Grounds, toilets [for 100 people], security, water||Enough||No limit|
|Royal Palm Gardens||60,000||Grounds||Have to leave early|
|Valencia Gardens||1,650 per person||Grounds, food, tables, tents and chairs plus parking||Not enough but will enquire from neighbours||Have to leave early|
|St. Christophers||55,000||Grounds and ToiletsRefundable 5,000 if you leave the grounds clean.Need your own security||Enough|
Disclaimer: The list is by no means exhaustive. There are grounds such as:
- Florienta in Rosslyn
- Tayiana Gardens
- Thomas Barnados
- Langata Botanical
I could seriously go on but I had already cut off some of these grounds and therefore did not see it necessary to request for a quote.
Also, note that if grounds are located in a residential area such as Karen Country Lodge, with the new NEMA laws, you have to turn down your volume by 6 PM and will probably not enjoy your evening party there.
These quotes were received between August and October 2010 and will probably change in 2011.
So I asked people to email me the cost of grounds in Nairobi and I got some.
So I decided to call random places and ask them for their charges for grounds only. Because I love my readers like that, even though sometimes I doubt their love for me. But whatever. I doubt there is any Kenyan Wedding Website that is awesome as this one or has this much information.
And I do not even get paid to do this. I may be a fool.
- Nairobi Club â€“ We paid Kshs 20,000 for the grounds only. This came with enough toilets for the 600 guests, someone to take care of the toilets, tissue, handwash and enough parking. I do not know if the prices have gone up? You have to use their food as I have mentioned earlier.
- Nairobi Arboretum â€“ Kshs 30,000 for the grounds. I know you have to take care of the toilets and whatnot but parking will be enough.
- Oak Place Conference Centre (Garden Estate, Off Kiambu Road)Â – Kshs 160,000. Ok, this is ridiculous but it is the price. I know there are toilets but I am not sure whether there is someone to take care of them. Parking is definitely an issue.
- Cooper Centre â€“ In Loresho. Kshs 40,000. The parking and toilets are enough. They do not give you the toilet stuff and also you hire someone to take care of the toilets.
- Wanderjoy â€“ Kshs 80,000. The parking is enough and the last time I was there, there were no toilets. (Has this changed??) Parking should be enough. Also as a side note, you cannot use another tent vendor on their grounds. You have to go with them.
- Jockey Club â€“ Kshs 92,000. This is the last price that I have. The parking is enough and there are toilets on site. I know you have to bring your own tissue and there is no one to man them soâ€¦..
- Tayiana Garden (Ridgeways, Off Kiambu Road)Â – Kshs 65,000. The parking is not enough. You have to come with EVERYTHING (toilet paper, security). You just get the grounds with this one.
- Langata Botanical â€“ Kshs 75,000. I have no idea the parking situation on this one (anyone?) but they have enough toilets and they give you the toilet stuff. Sidenote: You have to use their tents.
- Limuru Club – Kshs 70,000. Like Nairobi Club, a member has to book for you (but this is just formality). You do not need to use their catering services. Enough parking.
If you have any more venues please share..