A massive manhunt is underway in Munich after a suspected terror attack on a city shopping mall where “multiple” people are feared dead.
There was no official casualty report from the scene at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall, but German public broadcaster BR reported that at least six people had been killed. Germany’s dpa news agency reported that police spoke of an “acute terror threat” and “expect multiple dead.”
Munich’s transit system was shut down and police asked people to avoid public places. The U.S. Consulate in Munich echoed that warning, advising American citizens to “shelter in place”. Highways heading out of the city were closed and vehicle checkpoints were established.
“At the moment no culprit has been arrested,” Munich police said on social media. “The search is taking place at high speed.”
Police said witnesses reported seeing three different people with guns near the Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall. Reuters, citing German security sources in Berlin, reported there were at least two gunmen.
Munich police spokesman Thomas Baumann told dpa the attack started at a fast food restaurant in the mall shortly before 6 p.m. local time.
BR reported that shops in the center of Munich had closed with customers inside.
Policemen arrive at a shopping centre in which a shooting was reported in Munich, southern Germany, Friday, July 22, 2016. Situation after a shooting in the Olympia shopping centre in Munich is unclear. (Matthias Balk/dpa via AP)
The mall is located in the northern part of Munich is not far from the city’s Olympic Stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.
“Many shots were fired, I can’t say how many but it’s been a lot,” an employee at the mall told NTV, according to Reuters. “All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn’t survive.”
It’s the second attack in Germany in less than a week. On Monday, a 17-year-old Afghan wounded four people in an ax-and-knife attack on a regional train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, and another woman outside as he fled. All survived, although one man from the train remains in life-threatening condition. The attacker was shot and killed by police.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the train attack, but authorities have said the teen likely acted alone
The Associated Press contributed to this report.