google978c4e921fe1bd28.html

Eight killed in fresh attacks in Poromoko near Mpeketoni Lamu

burnt-carEight more bodies have been found in Poromoko area near Mpeketoni following fresh attacks Monday night.

Several houses were torched in the attacks, residents and police have said. Alshabaab, through their radio station-Andalus, has claimed that they carried out the attack Monday night and that they killed 20 people.

The death toll could rise as police and residents said they were still searching the area for more bodies.

Other residents said houses were burnt in Mapenya area Monday night.

Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo confirmed the reports of recovery of more bodies but said they are yet to know if they were from fresh attacks as claimed by locals.

No arrest has been made following the killing of more than 50 people in Mpeketoni and Kibaoni on Sunday night by gunmen.

There were claims that gunmen had been spotted in Rumshi village about 20 kilometers from Mpeketoni town.

Villagers had called police at midnight on Monday saying they had spotted the gang and they were torching houses but police say they had not spotted any of the alleged attackers.

Top security chiefs led by Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku are in Lamu and more security personnel have since been taken to the area.

More state officials are expected in the area Tuesday to chart the way forward even as Kenyans continued to express their displeasure at the response to the attacks.

-The Standard

Comments

comments

%d bloggers like this: