Street boys who are part of gangs that fought for control of Nairobi’s Dandora dumpsite have surrendered five firearms to the police.
Starehe OCPD Samwel Kanampiu said the firearms include revolvers and pistols that the gangs have been using to protect their turfs within the expansive dumpsite.
They surrendered the firearms after the Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko implored them to seek alternative ways of livelihood.
Both Mr Sonko and Nairobi County commander Benson Kibue visited the scene
The surrender of the firearms comes two days after two rival gangs were involved in a deadly confrontation that left one person dead and several others injured.
For the better part of Tuesday morning, gangs from Dandora area and Korogocho engaged in running battles over supremacy of the dumpsite.
The confrontations was said to be a culmination of supremacy battle between the two groups over the past several days with each group seeking to control scavenging of plastic and metallic items from the garbage.
One of the youth at the site on Tuesday told the Nation that the gangs had been attacking them at night and recently killed a woman.