google978c4e921fe1bd28.html

Anglo-Leasing suspects to be arrested, indicted this month

Director of Public Prosecution Keriako Tobiko

Director of Public Prosecution Keriako Tobiko

Prosecutions over the Anglo Leasing-related corruption cases are expected to commence by the end of this month.

Officials said at least six personalities are targeted and could be the first victims to be prosecuted following the latest investigations into the scam.

This was after a joint technical team formed to evaluate five files on the scam handed over their report saying it was ready for prosecution on three files.

The team handed over the report on Wednesday to a joint consultative forum comprising of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Keriako Tobiko, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) Chairman Mumo Matemu, all commissioners and Secretary Halakhe Waqo.

“It was agreed that out of the five files, three are ready for prosecution. The joint team was therefore directed to finalise the three files in readiness for submission to the DPP pursuant to section 35 of the Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Act (2003) within the next two weeks,” read a joint statement issued by both Tobiko and Matemu.

This means, if any, the arrests and prosecutions are expected by end of February.

On the other two remaining files, Tobiko and Matemu said they have outstanding international components, which will be covered within the next 30 working days. This means the technical team has 30 more days to evaluate the files and hand in the report.

EACC had in October sent five files to the DPP recommending that at least 10 people be prosecuted over cases in which Kenya lost billions of shillings to faceless companies.

Both Tobiko and Matemu refused to disclose the identities of those likely to face the first charges and those left out for now.

“What you want to know is difficult for now. Wait and see them in court very soon,” said Matemu.

Evaluate evidence

This is the third time since last year in October that the team is given more time to evaluate evidence gathered against the persons targeted for prosecution.

A source privy to the team’s operations said they had virtually bridged the gaps identified and hoped the report was to be accepted for prosecution but were shocked to be shown where more areas were identified as lacking links.

Tobiko had on December 4, 2014 given the team 30 more days to finish its work.

This was after the team requested two months. However, Tobiko said they have 30 days to submit its report to him.

“In light of the foregoing, the joint team is now required to finalise its work and report back within the next 30 working days,” said Tobiko in a statement on December 4.

Tobiko said then the team’s request was necessitated by the nature, magnitude, scale and complexity of the outstanding assignment, new leads to be pursued and outstanding requests for mutual assistance.

He said the request was necessitated by crucial witnesses who were yet to record statements and the voluminous nature of the documents and report to be reviewed and analysed.

“What you want to know is difficult for now. Wait and see them in court very soon,” said Matemu.

This is the third time since last year in October that the team is given more time to evaluate evidence gathered against the persons targeted for prosecution.

-Standardmedia.co.ke

Comments

comments

%d bloggers like this: